My Two Cents

This is my two cents. You'll get it whether you want it or not. However, I won't charge anyone because it may not be worth two cents.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Promised Land

I had two thoughts while getting in my treadmill workout today.

The first was that my goal for the day was to get in two miles in 25 minutes. As I transitioned from my short walk for a warmup into a slow jog, I thought that back in high school I could run two miles on the track in under 11 minutes. Of course, that was 25 years ago and, even though I've droped 120 pounds, I'm still 85 pounds over my playing weight from back in the day.

Still, I found myself slowly plodding along. Carrying 260 pounds isn't easy on the legs and after about a mile and a quarter, I had to drop back to walking speed and only got in about 1.85 miles in 25 minutes. I walked until I hit the 30-minute mark and, all-in-all, it was a decent workout. I may even get back on tonight or even go out for a walk.

As I was plodding along, at one time thinking "One foot in front of the other," I came upon my second thought which was about where I'm at in life.

Anyone who has a job these days, I hope, is thankful. Anyone who is without one, like me, knows the frustration of trying to find one right now. The anxiety that goes with wondering if you can make it to your next paycheck, and wondering when and from where that paycheck is coming.

While I was pondering a lot of this, Bruce Springsteen's Promised Land came up on the playlist. Like name of the album from which the song comes, Darkness on the Edge of Town, I often feel like I'm in the dark these days but on the edge of something where there is light and hope.

I like to think, as Bruce wrote, "I've done my best to live the right way. I get up every morning and go to work each day." It's frustrating, to say the least and yes, "...your eyes go blind and your blood runs cold. Sometimes I feel so weak I just want to explode."

But, if there's one thing I pride myself on it's that I understand taking the long view of things and that, sometimes, you've got to keep plodding along, putting one foot in front of the other until you reach that goal.

It's a hard thing for anyone who has gone through a similar experience, or any experience in life which causes, angst, heartache, etc. However, without the will and determination to move on, you will never get to where you want to go.

And I keep telling myself that I believe in a Promised Land.

Promised Land, Bruce Springsteen
On a rattlesnake speedway in the Utah desert
I pick up my money and head back into town
Driving cross the Waynesboro county line
I got the radio on and I'm just killing time
Working all day in my daddy's garage
Driving all night chasing some mirage
Pretty soon little girl I'm gonna take charge

The dogs on Main Street howl
'cause they understand
If I could take one moment into my hands
Mister I ain't a boy, no I'm a man
And I believe in a promised land

I've done my best to live the right way
I get up every morning and go to work each day
But your eyes go blind and your blood runs cold
Sometimes I feel so weak I just want to explode
Explode and tear this whole town apart
Take a knife and cut this pain from my heart
Find somebody itching for something to start

The dogs on Main Street howl
'cause they understand
If I could take one moment into my hands
Mister I ain't a boy, no I'm a man
And I believe in a promised land

Well there's a dark cloud rising from the desert floor
I packed my bags and I'm heading straight into the storm
Gonna be a twister to blow everything down
That ain't got the faith to stand its ground
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted

Well the dogs on Main Street howl
'cause they understand
If I could take one moment into my hands
Mister I ain't a boy, no I'm a man
And I believe in a promised land
And I believe in a promised land
And I believe in a promised land...

No comments:

Post a Comment